Thursday, May 15, 2014

Spending time with my seam ripper...


Have you ever had one of those projects that started with a great idea, but that you just couldn't get to work right? A garment that you construct, then take apart, then reconstruct, only to take apart again?  This is one of those projects for me.  I had no pattern to guide me on measurements here. All I had was an idea and some fabric. This is why I don't draft my own patterns, people.
Believe it or not, the most difficult portion of this dress was NOT the denim bodice. Honestly, if I was shaped like a square, that bodice would have been the easiest part. I mean, obviously the denim presented some challenges, and I still didn't get the side seams in enough to eliminate wrinkling, but this was the one aspect of the dress that never got seam-ripped.
The skirt, on the other hand... I originally wanted pleats, but that didn't work, so I thought I would do an "A" line with jersey fabric, which turned out to be awful, so I finally just gathered a cotton panel skirt. How boring.
Now, after all of the time I have spent building a relationship with this garment, my feelings about it are only lukewarm. I don't love it, I only barely like it, but I am NOT taking this thing apart again.  Maybe I'll add a belt or some embellishments, but the seam ripper will not be an option here. It's time to move on.

3 comments:

fitnottofit said...

I adore it! I love the colourful straps, how the skirt picks up the colour from the straps... Looks comfy, perfect for summer! And your wedges are to die for! Oh I know, what if you made the skirt part about 2 inches shorter, would that be an option?

Angela said...

Thanks, Jagoda! I had actually started to hem the skirt shorter, but I am not a lady when I sit down, so I thought the longer length would avoid "panty shots" in public. ;)

Sarah Liz said...

It does need a belt and then I think it will be a fun summer dress.
Try the belt before taking the skirt up.