So, I went to the thrift store for a meat slicer, and walked out with a dozen sewing patterns and an arm full of books. And no meat slicer.
But, the patterns that I found were all priced under a dollar, and they included this gem that begged to be taken home:
First of all, I was BLOWN AWAY by the fact that this pattern had never been used. The package dates to 1974, and the paper was as crisp as when it was new! Unheard of for me. So, I decided to preserve the original pattern and use some special pattern transfer fabric stuff that I've had lying around for a while. The nice thing about these older patterns is that the ink is really dark, and it is super easy to trace:
The final piece came out really well, and I know what to tweak for my future visors. I love that this is a "one size fits all" hat, and it actually looks pretty good on me! Not that you'll ever know, of course. I used my good friend Simon (a.k.a "simone" - when modeling female head apparel):
I had to use a double layer of interfacing for the brim since all I have is "lightweight" fusible, but I like that it isn't too stiff.
I think that it will be loads of fun playing around with different fabric combinations on this pattern. Also, I plan to make the cap from this package as well. This was a fantastic find for me!